In this section are gathered, with their links and summaries, all the texts in English that can be found on this site www.christianpuren.com.
They are identified by " -en " at the end of their code: "2014a-en", "066-en", etc.
This section is updated each time a new text in this language is published.
I am very grateful to my colleague from the University of Izmir (Turkey), Ahmet ACAR, who kindly took care of these translations.
Section "Mes travaux"
- 2020c-en. "From an internationalized communicative approach to contextualized plurimethodological approaches". Dokuz Eylül University, Department of ELT, İzmir, Turkey, April 2020. Prepared as a contribution to the distance education course: ELT Curricula.
The communicative approach, or task-based (communicative) learning, has unduly occupied almost all the space for didactic reflection and methodological development in the world over the last 40 years. Indeed, this approach is not appropriate for all the goals and objectives of teaching and learning in schools. We will illustrate this point by taking as an example the historical evolution of methodologies in France. The pre-communicative methodology of the 1920s to 1960s, based on the collective reading and oral commentary of authentic documents, is still relevant for students who only want to keep a distance contact with the foreign language-culture. Two post-communicative orientations have become necessary to meet the challenges of living and working together in "a multilingual and multicultural Europe" (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages, 2000), namely plurilingual approaches and the action-oriented approach. All these methodological matrices need to be protected and maintained in applied linguistics in the same way as the diversity of languages in the world or biodiversity in nature. The only relevant question is how they can be selected and combined or articulated in language programmes taking into account students, goals, objectives and contexts, especially in relation to local educational cultures. (Mise en ligne en date du 21 avril 2020)
- 2019g-en. "Development of the social action-oriented approach and the resulting methodological situation in didactic of languages and cultures". “L’élaboration de la perspective actionnelle et la situation méthodologique résultante en didactique des langues-cultures”, was published in French in the Proceedings of the 2nd International Methodological Colloquium "Methodology of Language Learning . Towards Pedagogical, Didactic and Linguistic Excellence", Thessaloniki (Greece), 3-4 September 2018,
- 2013e-en. "The shift from the paradigm of communication to the paradigm of action, and its implications for practical implementation from the social action-oriented approach". English version of 2013e.
- 2009b-en. "Variations on the theme of social action in didactics of foreign languages and cultures". English translation of the article entitled "Variations sur le thème de l'agir social en didactique des langues-cultures" (2009b). This text is the (much longer) electronic version of an article initially published pp. 154-167 in : ROSEN Évelyne (coord.), La perspective actionnelle et l'approche par les tâches en classe de langue. Paris : CLE international-FIPF, 192 p. Publication of this translation: May 2021.
- 2002b-en. Actional perspectives and cultural perspectives in language and culture didactics: towards a co-cultural co-actional perspective. English version of 2002b, published online May 2021. In this article, the author reviews the succession, in French school foreign language teaching, of the different methodologies that have been developed, by showing how each one has been built on a mode of adequacy between its action perspective (i.e. the actions that it prepares students to carry out in a foreign language) and its cultural perspective (i.e. the cultural competences for which it prepares the students). He defends the idea that the new (social) action-oriented approach proposed in the Council of Europe's Common European Framework constitutes a rupture from the action perspective of the communicative approach, and that it therefore implies a rupture from the cultural perspective that was linked to it, that of the intercultural. Finally, he outlines what the new corresponding coherence should be, which he calls "co-actional-co-cultural perspective", while specifying that in the framework of the "complex didactics" that he promotes, it is not a question of substituting this new coherence for the previous ones, but of adding it to the panoply of instruments already available for the management of the teaching/learning process. This article, published in French in 2002, is the first one that the author wrote on the "perspective actionnelle" ("perspective actionnelle" in the French CEFR, "social action approach" in the English CFERL, upon publication of the final version of this Council of Europe publication in 2001. Publication of this English version: May 2021.
Section "Bibliothèque de travail"
- 066-en. "The five documentary logics currently available (model)". Synthetic resumption of the various available logics of didactic treatment of documents ("literary", "document", "support", "documentation" and "social"), realized from several articles previously published on this site. (English translation of the first version of French original article 066)
- 069-en. "How to integrate the project approach in the classroom on the didactic units of language textbooks". English translation of the document entitled "Comment intégrer la démarche de projet dans le travail en classe sur les unités didactiques des manuels de langue?" (069, juin 2018)